Sunday, April 28, 2019

Acrostics in the Google era

        Gone are the days when a clue such as "WBO heavyweight champion June 2007-February 2008" would be thought unfairly difficult. Google or Wikipedia can come up with the answer to that in seconds.

        As a compiler, I live with that obvious fact (having no choice!) but I try to think of a few Google-proof clues if I can. Acrostic #1, that I published today, is not a particularly good example, but Googling has its problems for words B, G and R.

        I also do the converse—that is, provide a few write-in clues that don't even need Google, just to give my solvers confidence. I consider words D, H, M, N and maybe W to be in that category but others may disagree. General Knowledge is a tricky thing, and depends a lot on one's origins, interests and memory-power.

        The "middling" clues yield quickly to Google/Wikipedia if that's what you fancy. Word U is a good example. If solvers wish to have a personal "No-Google" rule, I say "Good idea". As a solver, as opposed to compiler, I generally start off with a No-Google rule but often succumb to the temptation when I'm stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment